Saturday, February 7, 2009

Analogies

They run through my mind like scurrying ants. Totally random. Completely pointless. Rather keep the mind bogged down with amusing thoughts than let it fall prey to people-judging, comparing, self elevating and people deprecating ones. So here goes. A compilation of some of the analogies I've come up with.


Driving on a jam packed freeway

Do you stay put on the slow moving lane, not think of it too much, enjoy the ride, the radio, the company? Or do you constantly plan and make lane changes so as to reach your destination in the shortest possible time? Moreover, do you ride on the right-turn-only lane so that you can get ahead of the rest and cut in up ahead? Do you drive at the fastest possible speed that won't get you a ticket?

It all seems so similar to how people live their lives. Some of them like the chase. They have this need to get ahead. They'll do everything possible to get there, faster than the others, ahead of the others. Others like their life just the way it is. They don't think the benefits of making a change is worth the trouble. Or they just plain don't want to think. Especially when all is going smooth just the way it is.

I personally think both styles are perfectly fine. Who do I associate myself with? I alternate.

You can keep adding more aspects to this analogy. A five hour long drive, all by myself gave me enough material to write a thesis on this topic.


The rate at which to consume the limited amount of side dish you have

Think chapaties and a limited amount of sabzi. You don't want to finish the sabzi too early least you have to eat the last few morsels of your chapati all by itself. You don't want to be too careful and have sabzi left over even after the chapti is gone. You wouldn't then have derived the most relish out of the dish. (There is this third option where you can show complete apathy and not really care, which is probably what most of you would be doing. Depth lacking, non-thinkers you. I quote Monthy Python when I say, "I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of old elderberries!".)

Seems so similar to saving for the future. You don't want to be too parsimonious. What's the point if you are gone and there is money left. Neither do you want to reach a state of all the money being gone and, well, you being left. To spend at just the right rate so as to optimally utilize all that you make.


Homework doing. Team up or go solo.

"You could submit your homework in pairs", the Professor said. "Fewer papers to grade would make my life easier". I look around. One girl I know. Something tells me she has her partner picked out. Either ways, the proposition of pairing up with her doesn't interest me too much. I wait through a few classes. A couple of weeks pass and the first homework is around the corner. Still no success in finding my partner. Then one class, on one of those 'need-to-get-business-done' days, I notice a guy next to me reading a tech magazine. Cool I think. The class over, I ask him if he's interested in joining forces. "Why not", he says.

Till date, the move to pair up has proved beneficial. I don't know if I could have done better. One thing is for sure, it's definately worked out better than going solo. I think to myself, 'is this how marriages work?'. You never know if you could have done better, but you are sure to do better with someone than without? It's possible that a you might have been able to build a stronger team but it's certain that a team will be stronger than the individuals by themselves? The catch however is, how alike are the goals. The sum of two vectors in the direction of one of the vectors will greater than the original vector only if the angle between the vectors is less than 90 degrees.

Do we then continue on this line of reasoning and conclude that a "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" scenario would be even more beneficial?

These words from the Sunscreen video come to mind.

"Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t,
maybe you’ll have children,maybe you won’t,
maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary…
what ever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either
your choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s."

"Half chance", she said. She wants to take it. I'm a safe player.


On a completely different note, to all the men out there (in case you haven't already come across this list), this. Don't judge me.

And ladies. How could I ever forget you. This and this.

16 comments:

Warriorwithin said...

super......i think this is ur best post so far

Nikhil said...

Nice !!
I've done a lot of research on the chapati - sabzi problem too.. You could spread the sabzi evenly and roll up the chapati for this..

Suprita said...

[Warriorwithin] :) Thank you thank you. Though, you probably think so because you either relate to the line of thought or, like you'd mentioned, have thought on those lines yourself.

[Nikhil]: Why hadn't I thought of that. No. Don't answer that. Though, glad you didn't think it to be totally weird or crazy. The last person I shared the funda with looked at me like I needed help.

S.. Diva said...

chappati sabzi problem is one thing your's truly middle class brahmin can relate to..

Warriorwithin said...

have a look at this masaley dosey analogy

http://gpraveenkumar.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/masala-dosa-personality-test/

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello Guru, what entice you to post an article. This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

Suprita said...

Guru, neev yaaru anta gott aglilla.

Anonymous said...

[sneha] why does the chapati sabzi problem just relate to a truly middle class brahmin family..??? its not like only brahmins eat it.. most of indians do.. my point being any indian can relate to it..

[suprita] how many times have u ever eaten a (expensive) chocolate (or any other food item) half so that u could enjoy the rest of it at later time??

i guess its just human nature (or probably just indian nature) to save as much as we can so that we could live LIFE in an even manner and avoid the ups and downs that comes with no savings.. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good post.

I find your first 2 analogies solid. That is they are simple straight forward reasoning.

The third analogy is flaky at best. Though you seem to address it in your explanation, I think you understated the differences.

Overall - I liked your blog and hope you continue writing!

Suprita said...

Thanks Mr Anonymous. It's been a while since I posted though.

You seem to be someone from Intel. Could I know who?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.freewebs.com/duloxetine-online/]order cymbalta online
[/url] ariclaim absetzen
cymbalta indications
duloxetine hydrochloride australia

Anonymous said...

[url=http://cyclosporine.webs.com]ciclosporina nombres comerciales
[/url] neoral levels
cyclosporine price
purchasing Cyclosporine online

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.microgiving.com/profile/ribavirin]rebetol buy online
[/url] purchase rebetol
rebetol
rebetol 100 mg online