Monday, April 16, 2007

At work and bored

Two weeks since work started and I feel like a like a novice swimmer thrown into deep deep waters, hoping she will learn to swim to keep herself alive. For moments in between you feel like you are making progress but before you know it, the moment has passed. After 6 years of college and staying at a place you are just beginning to get comfortable with the place, people and style of life, when whoosh (trying to imitate the sound made when a slingshot is released). You are in a completely new place with new people, new protocols and new almost-every-other-thing. All of a sudden there are so many things you need to learn and master - the fine art of making coffee (the master plan was/is, if I didn't know how to make one, no one would ask me to. So much for master plans.), the art of meaning what you say and yet not saying what you mean, the fake laugh, married men and the list goes on.

While trying to unravel the mysteries of this strange new world, I stumbled upon the eternal (? maybe not that eternal) question of – can colleagues be friends? Is it just me who seems to be having trouble connecting and being comfortable with colleagues or is it Universal? Can you never again in your life make the kind of friends you made in college? Or are we just loosing patience? Is there so much at stake at the workplace that no one wants to let down their guard? Or is it just that there isn’t enough choice? Going by real life examples, of the 4 or 5 close friends that my parents have, none of them are their colleagues. That isn’t much consolation.

I however, wish to remain hopeful. For is it not hope that keeps the world moving (no wait. I think it was faith or belief but hope comes close). Hence the struggle continues. To find ones place amongst people. To find ones place in the world.

11 comments:

Rach said...

Guess who found your debut write-up. Very nice, I must say. Although parts of it need some explanation... married men?

Anonymous said...

What about moi?

Chivalrous.knight said...

cogito ergo sum ...

Rach said...

Although, coming to your point, I think colleagues can definitely be great friends. I've made some great friends at work, although i can't say too much on how long that'll go :)

Suprita said...

[Rach]You give me hope. So much hope. :)

[Punith]:)

[Anonymous]Hmm.. What about you? You're neither married nor my colleague.

Pramod said...

Suprita, (a) colleagues can be super friends. I've made some very good friends at work. (b) I think I'm now figuring out the meaning of all those fundae some manager was giving us about "company culture", "core values" blah blah blah. I think even more important that having a good job, is having a job with people you will get along with.

Rachna, I don't understand why you're being skeptical about your workplace friendships.

Anonymous said...

Who is the flamboyant married man, exhibiting and disregarding basic human jealousies ? Wives won't be ok with it.. !

Idiote .. !

Suprita said...

[Anonymous2] Yea, I know. I don't think he intends to tell her.

Rach said...

@Pramod: Not skeptical, only not too sure. Applies to everything in life I guess.

Sandeep said...

Somebody hit on you :p?

Suprita said...

[Sandeep] Alladsu. :P